Friday, October 22, 2010

Pro 8?


As one of the top 10 states with the highest concentration of gay people,gay rights has always been an issue on our government . Should people be treated differently because of their sexual desires? This is an important question that must be evaluated to understand which politician to vote for as governor.

A lot of controversy occurred when Andrew Cuomo decided to take his daughters to the gay pride parade. "I don’t think it’s proper for them to go there and watch a couple of grown men grind against each other,"(NY Tiimes ) Paladino believes that Cuomo has “brainwashed his children into thinking that homosexuality” was an acceptable option, "[gay and queer] is not the way God created us.” (Paladino) He believes that Cuomo shouldn't have brought his children to the gay pride parade to see "men in Speedos, grinding and doing things to each other."(Paladino) Paladino attempted to attack Cuomo's parenting however, people began to question Paladino's views on gay rights. Paladino says that his "feelings about homosexuality are no different than those of the Catholic Church." Paladino believes gays have the right to live together but they don't have the right to marry. After all the controversy Paladino began to appear on news broadcasts and radio stations attempting to gain support from gay people. In a public statement of apology Paladino stated that "[he] will reach out to leaders of the gay community to educate me on how to better represent my support for the rights of all citizens. If elected as your governor I will stand and fight for all gay New Yorkers rights."(Paladino) Paladino doesn't shut down the idea of gay rights all together, he just believes that homosexuals shouldn't have the same rights as those who are heterosexual. "All men are created equal." (U.S. Constitution) I guess that only applies to "real" men, those men that are heterosexual. At the Empire State Pride Agenda's Fall Dinner, Cuomo stated that "I don't want to be the governor who just proposes marriage equality. I don't want to be the governor who lobbies for marriage equality. I don't want to be the governor who fights for marriage equality. I want to be the governor who signs the law that makes equality a reality in the state of New York." (NY Daily News) Andrew Cuomo supports gay marriage and with a governor like this maybe equality will come to men soon.


Sophia Beytelman

No comments:

Post a Comment